Watch that child!
Motorists need to use extra caution when approaching a slow moving or stopped school bus. Students are at the greatest risk of death or injury when they are entering or exiting a school bus. A child’s life is worth much more than the 30 seconds that you will might save just because you don’t want to be stopped.
School buses are equipped with both amber and red warning lights to advise motorists a stop is being made. Amber flashing lights indicate CAUTION, the school bus is preparing to stop. Red flashing lights mean STOP, children are boarding or leaving the bus.
Motorists approaching from either direction are required to stop at least ten (10) feet from the stopped school bus and are not to resume motion until the bus has departed. If a school bus is stopped on a roadway divided into four or more lanes, only traffic proceeding in the same direction as the bus must stop.
Parents should talk with their children, both those who ride the bus and those who drive to school, and explain the laws and school bus safety rules. Children should be instructed to never walk behind a bus and should stay at least ten (10) feet away from the side and front of the bus. In addition, parents are reminded to check children’s clothing and remove, shorten or replace any drawstrings, backpack straps or other items that could potentially get caught in the entrance door area of the school bus.
Tips for bus riders
- Be at the bus stop 5 minutes before the bus is due to arrive and be ready to board the bus when it arrives.
- Be orderly at the bus stop, do not bother others and stay clear of all road traffic.
- Wait for the bus driver’s signal and cross ten (10) feet in front of the bus when crossing the street.
- Listen to and follow all directions of the bus driver.
- Get on the bus immediately, quietly and without bothering others.
- Remain seated until the bus comes to a complete stop.
- Maintain silence at railroad crossings and other places specified by the driver.
- Do not abuse others or the life or property of any individual while at a bus stop or while on the bus.
- Do not approach the bus until it has reached a complete stop.